from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A taxonomic order within the class Hydrozoa — the siphonophores.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- plural proper n. An order of pelagic Hydrozoa including species which form complex free-swimming communities composed of numerous zooids of various kinds, some of which act as floats or as swimming organs, others as feeding or nutritive zooids, and others as reproductive zooids. See Illust. under physallia, and porpita.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A genus of myriapods, typical of the unused family Siphonophoridæ.
- n. A notable genus of plantlice (Aphididæ), erected by Koch in 1855, having long nectaries, and the antennæ usnally longer than the body.
- n. Oceanic hydrozoans, a subclass of Hydrozoa or an order of Hydromedusæ, containing free pelagic forms in which hydriform persons and sterile mednsiform persons (in one family only the former) are united in colonies or aggregates under many special modifications, but definite and constant in each instance.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. marine colonial hydrozoans
Sorry, no etymologies found.