from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The ninth month of the year in the Jewish calendar. See Table at calendar.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. The ninth month of the civil year in the Jewish calendar, after Iyar and before Tammuz.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The third month of the Jewish ecclesiastical year; -- supposed to correspond nearly with our month of June.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The third month of the Jewish sacred year and the ninth of the civil year, corresponding to the latter part of May and part of June.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the ninth month of the civil year; the third month of the ecclesiastical year in the Jewish calendar (in May and June)
Hebrew sîwān, from Akkadian simānu, a month name, from simānu, season, time; see wsm in Semitic roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)