from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- abbr. senior
- abbr. señor
- abbr. Ecclesiastical sister (title)
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A contraction of senior: as, John Smith, Sr.
- n. In chem., the symbol for strontium.
- n. An abbreviation of the Latin Sacrum Romanum Imperium, Holy Roman Empire.
- n. An abbreviation of the Latin Societatis Regiæ Socius, Fellow of the Royal Society.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. used of the older of two persons of the same name especially used to distinguish a father from his son
- n. the unit of solid angle adopted under the Systeme International d'Unites
- n. a soft silver-white or yellowish metallic element of the alkali metal group; turns yellow in air; occurs in celestite and strontianite
Sorry, no etymologies found.
When she became a novice in 1953, she received the name Sr. José.
She joined the Clarist Convent at Bharananganam, near here, in 1927 and received the postulant's veil in 1928, assuming the name Sr. Alphonsa, in memory of St. Alphons Ligory.
In honor of his son, Mr. Griffin Sr. traveled to Iraq to witness for himself the lifestyle of a soldier.
Combined with his son's sensitive, at times philosophical correspondence, Mr. Griffin Sr. provides a unique and intimate perspective on war that is unknown to many Americans.
Obama Sr. was already married at the time he had “married” Ann Dunham.
Now Cleveland Sr. is taking on his biggest challenge yet: a live episode for his show.
The previous owner, the deceased Lexington contractor Rex Martin Sr., started building the castle in 1969.
However, I believe it could have had much more impact had Dr. D'Souza not mentioned that Obama Sr. was a polygamist, an alcoholic and an alleged abuser of his family.
The irresistibly danceable blues-zydeco fusion music pioneered by the late accordionist Alton Rubin Sr. (aka Rockin 'Dopsie) continues to evolve in the nimble fingers of a second generation.
Well, if Pretty Boy Floydweather Jr. loses to Manny, Floyd Sr. is starting to insist his son lost to the warrior upon steroids.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.