from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A Pueblo people located north-northeast of Santa Fe, New Mexico.
- n. A member of this people.
- n. The Tanoan language of the Taos people.
- A town of northern New Mexico north-northeast of Santa Fe. It developed as an art colony after 1898 and has attracted many artists and writers, including John Marin and D.H. Lawrence. Population: 5,190.
- A pueblo of northern New Mexico northeast of the town of Taos. Population: 1,260.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. The Taos people, Taos Pueblo, New Mexico.
- proper n. The Taos language (Northern Tiwa) of the Kiowa-Tanoan language family.
- proper n. The pueblo of the Taos Indians in New Mexico.
- proper n. The town of Taos (near Taos Pueblo, New Mexico)
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a member of the Pueblo people living in northern New Mexico
- n. an artist colony in northern New Mexico
From Taos tə̂o ("village") [as in tə̂otho ("in the village") or tə̂obo ("to the village")] via Spanish Taos ("Taos") (Wiktionary)