American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Hinduism The triad of gods consisting of Brahma the creator, Vishnu the preserver, and Shiva the destroyer as the three highest manifestations of the one ultimate reality.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The name of the later Hindu triad or trinity, Brahma, Vishnu, and Siva, viewed as an inseparable unity. The sectaries of Brahma, Vishnu, and Siva respectively make their god the original and supreme deity; hut considered in their connection Brahma is the creating, Vishnu the preserving, and Siva the destroying principle of the deity, while Trimurti is the philosophical or theological unity which combines the three separate forms in one self-existent being. The Trimurti is represented symbolically as one body with three heads, Vishnu at the right, Siva at the left, and Brahma in the middle.
- n. Hinduism The concept in which the cosmic functions of creation, maintenance, and destruction are personified by the forms of Brahma the creator, Vishnu the maintainer or preserver, and Shiva the destroyer or transformer.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Hindu Myth.) The triad, or trinity, of Hindu gods, consisting of Brahma, the Creator, Vishnu, the Preserver, and Siva, the Destroyer.
- n. the triad of divinities of later Hinduism
- This definition is lacking an etymology or has an incomplete etymology. You can help Wiktionary by giving it a proper etymology. From Sanskrit "three forms" (Wiktionary)
- Sanskrit trimūrtiḥ : tri-, three; see trei- in Indo-European roots + mūrtiḥ, form. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“But three main deities stand out: Shiva, Vishnu and Brahmā who in later Hinduism are known as the Trimurti (three forms).”
“The Hindu trinity, known as "Trimurti" (or "three forms") consisted of Brahma the creator, Vishnu the preserver and Shiva the destroyer.”
“Rungroj Yongrit/European Pressphoto Agency A woman prayed with incense and offered red roses to the god of love at the Trimurti Shrine in Bangkok.”
“The Mahatma Gandhi bronze statue will be installed at Trimurti LLC in California in the USA.”
“In Hinduism, the Trimurti is Brahma, Vishnu, and Siva.”
“An equal influence has been the religion and mythology of various past and current cultures -- most notably Hindu's Trimurti in the case of the Inheritance Trilogy, flavored with a bit of Egyptian-god sexiness and Greek-god drama.”
“In some other Hindu denominations, Brahma, Vishnu, and Shiva represent the three primary aspects of the divine in Hinduism and are collectively known as the Trimurti.”
“Many Hindus believe that God has three aspects -- Brahma, Vishnu, and Shiva -- which make up the Trimurti, the Hindu trinity.”
“In Hinduism, the Trimurti (also called the Hindu trinity) are three aspects of God in His forms as Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva.”
“The book is the first volume of a planned trilogy about the Trimurti, the three main gods in Hindu mythology.”
Looking for tweets for Trimurti.