from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Hinduism The triad of gods consisting of Brahma the creator, Vishnu the preserver, and Shiva the destroyer as the three highest manifestations of the one ultimate reality.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The concept in which the cosmic functions of creation, maintenance, and destruction are personified by the forms of Brahma the creator, Vishnu the maintainer or preserver, and Shiva the destroyer or transformer.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The triad, or trinity, of Hindu gods, consisting of Brahma, the Creator, Vishnu, the Preserver, and Siva, the Destroyer.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The name of the later Hindu triad or trinity, Brahma, Vishnu, and Siva, viewed as an inseparable unity.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the triad of divinities of later Hinduism
But three main deities stand out: Shiva, Vishnu and Brahmā who in later Hinduism are known as the Trimurti (three forms).
The Hindu trinity, known as "Trimurti" (or "three forms") consisted of Brahma the creator, Vishnu the preserver and Shiva the destroyer.
Rungroj Yongrit/European Pressphoto Agency A woman prayed with incense and offered red roses to the god of love at the Trimurti Shrine in Bangkok.
The Mahatma Gandhi bronze statue will be installed at Trimurti LLC in California in the USA.
In Hinduism, the Trimurti is Brahma, Vishnu, and Siva.
An equal influence has been the religion and mythology of various past and current cultures -- most notably Hindu's Trimurti in the case of the Inheritance Trilogy, flavored with a bit of Egyptian-god sexiness and Greek-god drama.
In some other Hindu denominations, Brahma, Vishnu, and Shiva represent the three primary aspects of the divine in Hinduism and are collectively known as the Trimurti.
Many Hindus believe that God has three aspects -- Brahma, Vishnu, and Shiva -- which make up the Trimurti, the Hindu trinity.
In Hinduism, the Trimurti (also called the Hindu trinity) are three aspects of God in His forms as Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva.
The book is the first volume of a planned trilogy about the Trimurti, the three main gods in Hindu mythology.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.