from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A native or inhabitant of Turkmenistan.
- n. A member of a traditionally nomadic Turkic people inhabiting Turkmenistan and neighboring areas in Iran and Afghanistan.
- n. The Turkic language of the Turkmen.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A person from Turkmenistan or of Turkmen descent.
- proper n. A Turkic language of the Turkmen spoken mostly in Turkmenistan.
- adj. Of, from, or pertaining to Turkmenistan, the Turkmen people or the Turkmen language.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the Turkic language spoken by the Turkoman
- n. a member of a Turkic people living in Turkmenistan and neighboring areas
- n. a republic in Asia to the east of the Caspian Sea and to the south of Kazakhstan and to the north of Iran; an Asian soviet from 1925 to 1991
- adj. of or relating to or characteristic of Turkmenistan or its people or culture
Medieval Latin Turcomannus, from Persian Turkmān, from turkmān, like a Turk, from Turk, Turk; see Turki.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)