from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- A city of northern France near the Belgian border southeast of Lille. An important medieval town, it became noted for its lace industry in the 15th century. Population: 43,200.
- n. A fine lace with a floral pattern.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A town in the region of Nord, in the north-east of France
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A rich variety of lace made at Valenciennes, France. See lace.
- n. A pyrotechnic composition, usually employed as incendiary.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a town in northeastern France long noted for its lace industry
- n. a type of bobbin lace with floral patterns
Sorry, no etymologies found.