American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A constellation in the polar region of the celestial Southern Hemisphere near Carina and Dorado.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The constellation Piscis Volans.
- n. a small constellation in the polar region of the southern hemisphere near Dorado and Carina
- Named by Dutch explorers Pieter Dirkszoon Keyser and Frederick de Houtman between 1595 and 1597. Shortened from Piscis Volans, from Latin piscis volāns ("flying fish"). (Wiktionary)
- Latin volāns, present participle of volāre, to fly. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Stein B, Volans G. Dixarit overdose: the problem of attractive tablets.”
“At the editing stage, Henry Volans at Faber was a font of sage suggestions while Trevor Horwood cleaned and polished the manuscript with perspicacity and good humor.”
“Or you mean Nolans but Volans, an alibi, do you Mutemalice, suffering unegoistically from the singular but positively enjoying on the plural?”
“Like John Adams, Volans is something of a minimalist in his use of repeating patterns but like Adams he's very much a "post-minimalist.”
“Still, the image helped set the stage for a wonderful new piece of music that sounded like sort of a mixture of John Adams at his best and Bernstein's "Age of Anxiety" piano symphony and a voice that is all Volans' own.”
“As with much of Volans's music, ideas don't so much develop as explode into action.”
“Composers don't often get the chance to write a piano concerto these days but Kevin Volans has written three, the latest of which had its first performance last night.”
“South African rhythms and timbres run rampant in Volans' two string quartets, and the vastness of the”
“Elkington, founding partner and director of Volans, cofounder of SustainAbility, world authority of sustainable development, author of The Green Consumer Guide John Grant, author of”
“CEO of the Carbon Disclosure Project John Elkington, founding partner and director of Volans, cofounder of SustainAbility, world authority of sustainable development, author of The Green”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘Volans’.
Although Orion's Belt and The Big Dipper (or The Plough) are not official constellations, they are still quite familiar to stargazers. Such groupings of stars are called asterisms.
The International Astronomical Union (IAU) recognizes 88 official constellations.
Looking for tweets for Volans.