from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. New Orleans A member of a lower- and middle-class segment of the white population of New Orleans.
- n. New Orleans The variety of English spoken by these people, derived from Irish English.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. a unique collection of dialects of English spoken in New Orleans, Louisiana
- proper n. a person of the New Orleans, Louisiana area who speaks with a Yat accent.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An obsolete form of gate.
From Where you at?, Whe'yat?, How are you? (local greeting).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)