from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who abbreviates or shortens.
- n. One of a college of seventy-two officers of the papal court whose duty is to make a short minute of a decision on a petition, or reply of the pope to a letter, and afterwards expand the minute into official form.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who abbreviates, abridges, or reduces to a smaller compass; specifically, one who abridges what has been written by another.
- n. One of a number of secretaries in the chancery of the pope who abbreviate petitions according to certain established and technical rules, and draw up the minutes of the apostolic letters.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. one who shortens or abridges or condenses a written work
Sorry, no etymologies found.