from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adv. At right angles to the keel of a ship.
- prep. Alongside or at right angles to: The ship drew abeam the cove.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adv. On the beam, that is, on a line which forms a right angle with the ship's keel; opposite to the center of the ship's side.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Nautical, in or into a direction at right angles to the keel of a ship; directly opposite the middle part of a ship's side, and in line with its main-beam: as, we had the wind abeam.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adv. at right angles to the length of a ship or airplane
a- (“in the direction of”) + beam (“keel”) (Wiktionary)