Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of or pertaining to trees of the genus Abies; derived from the fir.
- adj. Of, pertaining to, or derived from fir trees.
- adj. organic chemistry Of or pertaining to abietic acid or its derivatives.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Of or pertaining to the fir tree or its products.
- From Latin abies ("silver fir"), English -ic ("pertaining to"). (Wiktionary)
“Rosin contains abietic acid, which is a respiratory irritant, carcinogen, neurotoxin, and is known for its reproductive and developmental toxicity.”
“It is also stated to contain abietic anhydride C44 H62 O4, but it is difficult to understand how a compound containing C44 can be produced from C10 H16.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘abietic’.
A roster of adjectives that infrequently surface in typical conversation and writing. Many are dredged from scientific or other technical jargon or sieved from examples of disused archaic forms.
Looking for tweets for abietic.