American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. See spiny-headed worm.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One of the Acanthocephala.
- n. any of various worms living parasitically in intestines of vertebrates having a retractile proboscis covered with many hooked spines
- From Ancient Greek ἄκανθος (akanthos, "thorn") + κεφαλή (kephalē, "head") (Wiktionary)
- From New Latin Acanthocephala, phylum name : acantho- + Greek kephalē, head; see -cephalous. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Response to an avian predator and its isopod prey to an acanthocephalan parasite.”
‘acanthocephalan’ hasn't been added to any lists yet.
Looking for tweets for acanthocephalan.