from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A substance, such as a petroleum distillate, that is used as a catalyst, as in spreading an intentionally set fire.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any substance that can bond, mix, or disturb another substance and cause an increase in the speed of a natural or artificial chemical process.
- n. A substance that accelerates the development of a fire; especially some petroleum product used to spread an act of arson
- n. A substance used to catalyze the vulcanization of rubber
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- That accelerates; accelerating.
- n. That which quickens; specifically, one of the nerves stimulation of which causes increased rapidity of the heart's action.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
This would just remove an effective "accelerant" to further economic decline.
During the past month, Mr. Ballmer and other Microsoft executives have repeatedly characterized buying Yahoo as just an "accelerant" to a broader online strategy.
Can you really take two companies that are perceived as the slow-moving players in the online market, combine them, and make it an "accelerant," to your business, as you described it?
Iraq experts in the intelligence community thought of the event as an "accelerant," as in, something that would continue the destruction.
The use of some kind of accelerant, like gasoline or alcohol, seems to be indicated in the conflagrations; however, no traces of any accelerant have yet been found.
John, you're right that advertising is still a necessary "accelerant" for most companies -- the network is not efficient enough yet.
Firefighters doing the best they can to douse the blaze that is, as you can clearly see here, appears to be fueled by some kind of accelerant, perhaps some kind of aviation fuel.
Investigators determined that the fire had been set with some kind of accelerant, Brunicardi said.
Hallenbeck suspected there was some sort of "accelerant," noting that the fire was "fast burning."
“You reach a critical mass of male stupidity and after the accelerant of alcohol has been poured in, it explodes in the suggestion that the festivities be moved to the Combat Zone.”
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.