from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Developing or maturing from the base toward the apex, as in those plant organs in which the younger tissues are nearer the apex.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. That develops, matures or opens from the base towards the apex in sequence
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Developing from below towards the apex, or from the circumference towards the center; centripetal; -- said of certain inflorescence.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In botany, developing from below upward, or from the base toward the apex; basifugal.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of leaves or flowers; developing or opening in succession from base to apex
acro- + -petal (Wiktionary)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.