American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. An inflammatory disease of cattle, hogs, and sometimes humans, caused by microorganisms of the genus Actinomyces and characterized by lumpy tumors of the mouth, neck, chest, and abdomen. Also called lumpy jaw.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A progressive inflammatory affection caused by the presence of actinomycetes, occurring in cattle and swine, and sometimes in man. It is most frequently found in the jaws of cattle, but may invade other parts. It is communicated by contact with a wound or an abrasion. Also called
- n. pathology An infectious bacterial disease of cattle and swine, sometimes transmitted to man, characterized by the formation of painful abscesses in the mouth, lungs, or gastrointestinal tract.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Med.) A chronic infectious disease of cattle and man due to infection with actinomycetes, especially by Actinomyces bovis in cattle and by Actinomyces israeli or Arachnia propionica in man. It is characterized by hard swellings usually in the mouth and jaw. In man the disease may also affect the abdomen or thorax. Called also
lumpy jawor big jaw.
- n. disease of cattle that can be transmitted to humans; results from infection with actinomycetes; characterized by hard swellings that exude pus through long sinuses
“-- It is a lamentable fact that some, at least, of the United States herds of prong-horned antelope are afflicted with a very deadly chronic infective disease known as actinomycosis, or lumpy-jaw.”
“Another disease caused by a fungus is “actinomycosis”, which in cattle and other animals is called “lumpy jaw”.”
“In actinomycosis there are usually severe swellings and abscesses in the mouth and other parts of the body.”
“From there I can cause actinomycosis, mostly in your mouth "lumpy jaw", gut and lungs.”
“It is a rare condition. actinomycosis is a natural inhabitant of our mouths.”
“_The specific cause_ of actinomycosis is commonly known as the ray fungus”
“Conditions that favor bruising of the jaw and external wounds favor the development of actinomycosis.”
“The cows are known to be free from tuberculosis, actinomycosis (lumpy jaw), and foot and mouth disease.”
“My mother was suffering from a very grave illness (actinomycosis).”
“_Esophageal actinomycosis_ has been autoptically discovered.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘actinomycosis’.
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
For more aporkalyptic fun, see madmouth's Everything's better with a pig in it.
For "references to the Dursleys in Wizard People, Dear Reader, Brad Neely's cosmos-shattering voiceover ...
Looking for tweets for actinomycosis.