American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The fern Ophioglossum vulgatum: so called from the form of its fruiting spike. Also called adder's-spear. See Ophioglossum.
- n. A name sometimes given to the hart's-tongue, Phyllitis Scolopendrium. See Scolopendrium.
- n. Any of the eastern species of Erytbronium or dog-tooth violet. The white adder's-tongue is E. albidum.
- n. botany Any of a genus of ferns (Ophioglossum), whose seeds are produced on a spike resembling a serpent's tongue.
- n. botany The yellow dogtooth violet.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A genus of ferns (Ophioglossum), whose seeds are produced on a spike resembling a serpent's tongue.
- n. The yellow dogtooth violet.
- n. ferns with fertile spikes shaped like a snake's tongue
“Go through a gap in the brush a little way, until you see the cluster of oak where Brianna shot a possum, bear left to a squarish rock with a bunch of adder's-tongue growing over it" The fact that the need for my services as a guide was probably all that kept them from killing me on the spot was, of course, a secondary consideration.”
“The flowers are for the most part conspicuous, and in plan like that of the adder's-tongue; but some, like the rushes (Fig. 83, _E_), have small, inconspicuous flowers; and others, like the yams and smilaxes, have flowers of two kinds, male and female.”
“The fruit of the _Liliaceæ_ may be either a pod, like that of the adder's-tongue, or a berry, like that of asparagus or Solomon's-seal.”
“The plants of this group agree in their general structure with the adder's-tongue, which is a thoroughly typical representative of the group; but nevertheless, there is much variation among them in the details of structure.”
“Back in the woods a little patch of harebells grew, and lower down, in a protected hollow, were bleeding-hearts and adder's-tongue, closely guarded by the clasp of their furry silvery leaves.”
“Please tell more about them, mother," said Marjorie, coming up with her hands full of yellow, speckled adder's-tongue.”
“An enthusiastic botanical collector told me that for years he searched far and near for the adder's-tongue fern, till one day he stumbled upon it in a place over which he had long been in the habit of passing.”
“But the true country elder-flower ointment contains a little piece of adder's-tongue fern, which is believed to confer magical virtue.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘adder's-tongue’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
For stuff to simply reside.
Tongue words and phrases.
tongue-tied, tongue-lashing, tongue-twister, tongue-in-cheek, forked tongue, tongue-chain, speaking in tongues, gift of tongues, on the tip of one..., tongue-work, tongue-fence, tongue bone and 72 more...
Looking for tweets for adder's-tongue.