American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Involvement in risky enterprises without regard to proper procedures and possible consequences, especially the reckless intervention by a nation in the affairs of another nation or region: "American strategic interests would . . . be even more jeopardized by Soviet adventurism in the Middle East” ( Christopher T. Rand).
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The ways, habits, and schemes of the adventurer or adventuress; the practices, pretenses, or experiences of those who live by their wits.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. recklessness in politics or foreign affairs.
- n. recklessness in politics or foreign affairs
- From adventure + -ism. (Wiktionary)
“American adventurism is primarily responsible for creating most of the terrorist organizations in the world, who rise up in opposition to US hegemony.”
“The darkest side of our adventurism is our global network of military prisons (authorized by the Secretary of Defense and Pentagon) where physical and mental torture are practiced even though it's known no useful information comes from it.”
“There would be much less "adventurism" around the world, he said.”
“In the U.S., then, the question is whether it can elect a government that can adopt policies appropriate for a declining superpower (as opposed to Bushs giddy adventurism which is based on a fantasy about U.S. capabilities.) ”
“But, the turning point has come and the Saudi and Egyptian officials have slammed Hizballah for "adventurism", for dragging Lebanon into a bloody, undeserved war, and for further destabilizing the region.”
“Change (MDC), did not say what kind of activism he envisioned, and urged his supporters against "adventurism" that could provoke a violent response from government.”
“But it's a different sort of mistake. remarks about "adventurism" are meant to reflect precisely this episode.”
“Note how this is a * set-up* by Obama in order to approve some "adventurism" in order to get his "Commander in Chief" tags ordered ....”
“Echoing Israeli and Saudi moderates, he excoriated Hamas for "adventurism" that brought on the massacre of Gazans.”
“Two generations of college students have been taught that all such "adventurism" is nothing but imperialism and running-dog capitalism-and Boot does not deny that states naturally send in their forces out of national interest rather than mere idealism.”
Looking for tweets for adventurism.