American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Absence of or faulty secretion of milk following childbirth.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In pathology, a deficiency of milk in a mother after childbirth. Also called agalaxy.
- n. The failure of a mother to produce sufficient milk following childbirth.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Med.) Failure of the due secretion of milk after childbirth.
- n. a condition in which milk is not secreted in the mother's breasts after her child has been delivered
- New Latin, from Greek agalaktiā, lack of milk : a-, without; see a-1 + gala, galakt-, milk; see melg- in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“If there are problems with the mare, for example, rejection of the foal, sickness of the mare, or agalactia (lack of milk production), another source of colostrum and / or milk must be found.”
“This proposal has been addressed very positively by industry. penicillin some drugs have retained excellent activity against particular target organisms, such as the penicillin against Streptococcus agalactia despite extensive use for 40 years. development of resistance to animal antimicrobials may present a hazard to humans when the resistant bacteria can cause disease in humans and can be transmitted via contaminated food.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘agalactia’.
Not just rare words, but thousands of RARE WORDS WITH DEFINITIONS.
If you want to see the definitions, too, go to
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
Looking for tweets for agalactia.