Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Same as agistage.
- n. A dike or embankment to prevent the overflow of a stream or encroachments of the sea.
- n. The taking in by any one of other people's livestock to graze at a certain rate.
- n. A charge or rate against lands; as, an agistment of sea banks, i. e., charge for banks or dikes.
- n. Formerly, the taking and feeding of other people's cattle in the king's forests; the price paid for such a feeding.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. Formerly, the taking and feeding of other men's cattle in the king's forests.
- n. The taking in by any one of other men's cattle to graze at a certain rate.
- n. The price paid for such feeding.
- n. A charge or rate against lands.
“But the most valued is that of agistment or pasturage, especially of ponies.”
“The tithe of agistment or pasturage, lately abolished, had made the tithe of tillage more unjust and unequal.”
“The tithe of agistment got rid of by the Irish gentry, and the chief burden of the tithe thereby thrown on the farmers and peasantry.”
“Vet Dr Bob Fielding says the gelding was targeted when it was on agistment.”
“THE Albury-Wodonga Equestrian Centre is on "high alert" after a horse was found mutilated at one of its agistment paddocks on Tuesday.”
“Sonia Carboni adores former galloper Phoenix Express, who lives at her thoroughbred agistment property in Kilmore.”
“Slain horse owner fears for her family THE owner of a former show horse stabbed and scalped while in agistment says she can't believe anyone could be so evil.”
“RSPCA senior inspector Daniel Bode today said the knife attack on 15-year-old dressage champion Cachet in an agistment paddock was "absolutely shocking".”
“He pays $30,000 a month for feed and half his cattle in agistment.”
“The plaintiff also claimed tithe of grass cut and given green to the cattle employed in husbandry upon the farm, insisting that the exemption in favour of such cattle extended only to agistment.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘agistment’.
Not just rare words, but thousands of RARE WORDS WITH DEFINITIONS.
If you want to see the definitions, too, go to
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Words to quiz the intermediate and advanced speller alike
The stranger, the better.
Words I learnt at law school
Words I've come across while reading and looked up in the dictionary.
Looking for tweets for agistment.