American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Lacking a lower jaw: agnathan fish.
- adj. zoology Belonging or pertaining to the superclass Agnatha, the jawless vertebrates.
- n. zoology A member of the superclass Agnatha of jawless vertebrates.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. an eel-shaped vertebrate without jaws or paired appendages; a member of the Agnatha. The group includes the cyclostomes and some extinct forms.
- n. eel-shaped vertebrate without jaws or paired appendages including the cyclostomes and some extinct forms
- From Agnatha, from Ancient Greek ἀ- (a-, "without") + γνάθος (gnathos, "jaw") (Wiktionary)
- a-1 + Greek gnathos, jaw. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Prototypic T cell receptor and CD4-like coreceptor are expressed by lymphocytes in the agnathan sea lamprey.”
Looking for tweets for agnathan.