American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Cooked enough to be firm but not soft: pasta al dente.
- adj. firm (used of pasta which is cooked just right)
- adj. of pasta cooked so as to be firm when eaten
- Italian al (“to the”) + dente (“tooth”). (Wiktionary)
- Italian : al, to the + dente, tooth. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Casey took me there once — spaghetti alia matriciana al dente and buscetti with an ice-cold bottle of beer followed by the piccata and more beer.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘al dente’.
My favourite is potato
gnocchi,interesting that lists
devoted to pasta exclusively
missed pasta puttanesca,those who
really textually mine dictionaries
would not miss...
Culturally defined terms and expressions from the four corners of the world
words from the cookbook "Nigella Bites" by Nigella Lawson
Looking for tweets for al dente.