Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Cockstone; a peculiar stone, erroneously supposed to be sometimes found in the stomach or liver of an aged cock or capon. Many imaginary virtues were attributed to it.
- n. A genus of lichens. A. jubata, or rockhair, grows on trees and rocks, and affords food for the reindeer while the snow is deep.
- n. a precious stone said to be found in the gizzard of cocks
- n. lichens having dark brown erect or pendulous much-branched cylindrical thallus
- Latin alectoria, formed from Greek αλεκτρυων ‘cock’. (Wiktionary)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
These user-created lists contain the word ‘alectoria’.
Another of my lists of 151 words - some food-related, others not. Whatever the reason, these are words or phrases that intrigue or excite me.
tankage, food grade silicone, food grade diatom..., food grade tape, food grade adhesive, food grade sealant, food grade grease, food grade glue, food grade hydrog..., food grade lye, property virgin, beeswax pellet and 139 more...
Looking for tweets for alectoria.