from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A granular protein found in the endosperm of many seeds or forming the outermost layer in cereal grains.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The protein content of the embryo, endosperm, or perisperm of cereals
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An albuminoid substance which occurs in minute grains (“protein granules”) in maturing seeds and tubers; -- supposed to be a modification of protoplasm.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The minute albuminoid granules (protein) which are found, in connection with starch and oily matter, in the endosperm of ripe seeds and the cotyledons of the embryo.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. granular protein in outermost layer of endosperm of many seeds or cereal grains
From Greek aleuron, meal.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)