from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. the greater wing of the sphenoid bone
- adj. Relating to or forming the wing of the sphenoid bone.
- adj. Relating to a bone in the base of the skull, which in the adult is often consolidated with the sphenoid.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Pertaining to or forming the wing of the sphenoid; relating to a bone in the base of the skull, which in the adult is often consolidated with the sphenoid
- n. The alisphenoid bone.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of or pertaining to the greater wing of the sphenoid bone.
- n. One of the bones of the skull, forming by fusion with other cranial bones, in adult life, a great part of the compound sphenoid bone.
- n. In ichthyology, a small lateral bone of the cranium.
She had spoken to him first over a difficulty about the alisphenoid of a rabbit's skull, and he had found that, in biology at least, he had no reason for self-abasement.
"Incisors 4/2; at birth 6/2; the outer upper incisor soon lost; the next pair very small, placed directly behind the large middle pair; their enamel continuous round the tooth, but much thinner behind; skull with the optic foramina confluent, with no true alisphenoid canal; incisive foramina usually confluent; bony palate reduced to
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.