American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Representative of the people of the United States or their ideals; typically American: an all-American family; their all-American generosity.
- adj. Sports Chosen as the best amateur in the United States at a particular position or event: an all-American fullback.
- adj. Composed entirely of Americans or American materials: an all-American negotiating team; cars of all-American manufacture.
- adj. Of all the American nations: an all-American conference.
- n. An all-American athlete.
- n. A United States patriot
- adj. Known by, encompassing all of, or best in America.
“The hallmarks of the Nazi aesthetic - blue eyes, blond hair, athletic fitness and sharp-angled features - are the very elements that define what we call the all-American look, still visible in the mythic advertising landscapes of designers like the decidedly non-Aryan Ralph Lauren and Calvin Klein.”
“This is the definition of all-American decline in an unexpectedly new world.”
“‘I think it’s called all-American bloody-mindedness,’ I said, a comment which elicited the smallest of laughs from Hughes.”
“U.S. troops—deployed more widely than had been those of the British Empire—introduced such all-American delicacies as chewing gum and Coca-Cola, and Yankee notions of fun and glamour.”
“With his square jaw and dimpled cheeks, he looked like an all-American frat boy.”
“He earned all-American status as both a junior and a senior and was inducted into the Virginia Tech sports hall of fame in 2007.”
“He can pull off the all-American look (see Leatherheads for example), he's tall, and he's actually got comedic talent/acting ability.”
“And seeing Top Gun together with an all-American audience, I suddenly realized what an honor it was, being chosen to score this heroic epic movie.”
“It is a bit odd how the “upscale” coffee chain is from the Pacific Northwest and the “downscale” chain is located just outside of Boston while owned by a British company, yet this is supposed to be the all-American chain because cops get donuts there or its not as nice inside or something.”
“When the target was reached, the squadron commenced an air assault that would have taken an all-American unit five to eight minutes.”
‘all-American’ hasn't been added to any lists yet.
Looking for tweets for all-American.