from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A deep violet-red garnet, FeAl2Si3O12, found in metamorphic rocks and used as a gemstone.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A type of garnet having a deep red color, inclining to purple, with the chemical formula Fe3Al2(SiO4)3.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The common red variety of garnet.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a deep red garnet consisting of iron aluminum silicate
- n. a purple variety of the ruby spinel
Alteration of obsolete alabandyne, from Middle English alabandine, from Late Latin (gemma) alabandina, (gem) of Alabanda, from Alabanda, a town of ancient Asia Minor.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)