from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A mounting for astronomical telescopes that permits both horizontal and vertical rotation.
- n. A telescope having such a mounting.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A telescope or surveying instrument that has a mount permitting both horizontal and vertical rotation
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An instrument for taking azimuths and altitudes simultaneously.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An astronomical instrument for determining the altitudes and the azimuths of heavenly bodies.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an instrument that measures the altitude and azimuth of celestial bodies; used in navigation
alt(itude) + azimuth.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)