Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A genus of starfishes, of the family Goniasteridæ. A. insignis is a beautiful Californian species with short flat arms, flat disk, and regularly arranged spines and tessellated plates.
- n. [lowercase] In embryology, a formation in a maturing ovum of a fusiform figure radiated at either end, thus resembling two stars joined together, whence the name. See extract.
- n. [lowercase] A sponge-spicule consisting of a straight axis with a whorl of rays near each end.
- n. biology The achromatic figure, formed in mitotic cell division, consisting of two asters connected by a spindle-shaped bundle of rod-like fibres diverging from each aster.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Biol.) The achromatic figure, formed in mitotic cell-division, consisting of two asters connected by a spindle-shaped bundle of rodlike fibers diverging from each aster, and called the
- New Latin, from Ancient Greek. (Wiktionary)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
These user-created lists contain the word ‘amphiaster’.
A list of the richly esoteric and myriad terms that have been used in the classification and study of fossil and modern sponge spicules.
The morphology of sponge spicule elements paral...
Looking for tweets for amphiaster.