Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In Greek antiquity: A general term for a band or fillet or other female head-dress worn encircling the head, particularly when made of metal, or bearing in front an ornament of metal. A head-band for horses; also, an ornamental plate of metal covering the front of a horse's head.
- n. [NL.] A species of trilobite or fossil crustacean, found chiefly in Lower Silurian strata.
- n. In the anatomic structure of the Devonian fish Palæospondylus, an element of the anterior part of the skull.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Greek Antiq.) A woman's headband (sometimes of metal), for binding the front hair.
- Ancient Greek (Wiktionary)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
‘ampyx’ hasn't been added to any lists yet.
Looking for tweets for ampyx.