Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A native name in tropical America of the pineapple, and of other plants resembling it. The wild ananas of the West Indies is Bromelia Pinguin.
- n. [capitalized] [NL.] A small genus of tropical plants, belonging to the natural order Bromeliaccæ. A. satira produces the pineapple. Also called Ananassa.
- n. botany Pineapple
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Bot.) The pineapple (Ananassa sativa).
- n. a genus of tropical American plants have sword-shaped leaves and a fleshy compound fruits composed of the fruits of several flowers (such as pineapples)
- n. large sweet fleshy tropical fruit with a terminal tuft of stiff leaves; widely cultivated
- Either directly from Old Tupi nanas ("excellent fruit"), or from the scientific name thence derived, Ananassa sativa / Ananas comosus, likely under the influence of the many other languages which use the Old Tupi-derived designation ananas for the fruit. (Wiktionary)
“The plant that produces the pine-apple known as the "ananas," or by the Malays as "nanas," grows literally wild upon the hills on Blakan Mati Island, and other islands round about Singapore.”
“Italian" Pizza with ananas, beef, bacon and béarnaise sauce the Swedish style will probably live forever.”
“_ "Boeuf aux ananas, _pineapple_ paupiettes, potage aux ananas," _Antonio continued gloomily.”
“I'd love to be put into your sample draw please, and in the meantime will go off to the shops this pm and smell ananas fizz...”
“Because it's a rather quiet scent I underestimated it at first, but it's sublime, well balanced, warming and soft, yet light with a little freshness added by the ananas in the top notes - the perfect office scent for me.”
“The luscious ananas keeps going strong even in the drydown, keeping its sunny, tropical own against the nocturnal, brooding note of patchouli.”
“Look at the preserved fruits, look at the golden ginger, the outspreading ananas, the darling little rogues of China oranges, ranged in the gleaming crystal cylinders.”
“The little ananas seller, originally uploaded by gobou.”
“They always referred to 'pineapples' in Italian as 'pineapples', never as 'ananas' in the proper Italian way.”
“_Pineapples_ (_Bromelia ananas_, Linn.) are abundant in the Southern”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘ananas’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
A Russian Doll word is a word that, when you remove the first and last letters, is either the empty string, or a Russian Doll word. These are all of the 6 or more letter Russian Doll words found in...
Juicy words for the intermediate and advanced speller
Words that make other words with the addition of one letter at the beginning. The resulting words are tagged "behead".
Words and phrases used in blazoning heraldic devices, along with names and other terms associated with the art and science.
Other similar lists can be found on Wordnik, especially that...
Looking for tweets for ananas.