from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Pineapple
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The pineapple (Ananassa sativa).
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A native name in tropical America of the pineapple, and of other plants resembling it. The wild ananas of the West Indies is Bromelia Pinguin.
- n. [capitalized] [NL.] A small genus of tropical plants, belonging to the natural order Bromeliaccæ. A. satira produces the pineapple. Also called Ananassa.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a genus of tropical American plants have sword-shaped leaves and a fleshy compound fruits composed of the fruits of several flowers (such as pineapples)
- n. large sweet fleshy tropical fruit with a terminal tuft of stiff leaves; widely cultivated
Either directly from Old Tupi nanas ("excellent fruit"), or from the scientific name thence derived, Ananassa sativa / Ananas comosus, likely under the influence of the many other languages which use the Old Tupi-derived designation ananas for the fruit. (Wiktionary)