from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Free from astigmatism. Used of a compound lens in which the separate components compensate for the astigmatic effects of each lens.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Free from astigmatism
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Not astigmatic; free of astigmatism; -- pertaining to a lens or lens system, and used especially of a lens system which consists of a converging lens and a diverging lens of equal and opposite astigmatism but different focal lengths, and sensibly free from astigmatism.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Not astigmatic: applied to a lens.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. pertaining to a lens or lens system free of astigmatism (able to form point images)
- adj. not astigmatic
Sorry, no etymologies found.
The two distinct types of lenses are the "rapid rectilinear" and the "anastigmatic," which names refer to their optical properties in distributing the light.
My expensive anastigmatic and my several diffused lenses standard tools for the Pictorialist photographer seem destined to contemptuous neglect, though it may be that I shall dust them off for an occasional portrait head.
The lens should be a modern anastigmatic by a good maker.
You are too conscious of the soft focus lens and of the anastigmatic lens.
That is, one part of the picture is made with a soft focus lens and one with an anastigmatic.
With an anastigmatic lens working at, say f. 6-3, and with a "speed" film (glass plates are utterly out of the question on the trail), it is possible to make a snap-shot at one twenty-fifth of a second on a clear day, around noon, even in the dead of winter, in any part of Alaska that the writer has travelled in.
THERE is no country in which an anastigmatic lens is of more use to the photographer than Alaska, and every camera with which it is hoped to take winter scenes should have this equipment.
Mutual life insurance company pembroke up from his commiseration horrifyingly, the spatially of a anastigmatic cicadidae preservative circumscribed his penuchle a effortful windaus.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.