from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A barometer in which variations of atmospheric pressure are indicated by the relative bulges of a thin elastic metal disk covering a partially evacuated chamber.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A barometer in which variations in pressure are measured using a partially evacuated capsule whose sides move in and out.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. a barometer the action of which depends on the varying pressure of the atmosphere upon the elastic top of a metallic box (shaped like a watch) from which the air has been exhausted. An index shows the variation of pressure.
- n. See Aneroid barometer, under Aneroid.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a barometer that measures pressure without using fluids
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.