from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Remission of disease symptoms.
- n. Addition of a sentence, clause or phrase that diminishes what preceded.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In pathology, remission or abatement of the symptoms of a disease.
- n. In music: The progression from a high sound to one lower in pitch.
- n. The tuning of strings to a lower pitch: opposed to epitasis.
Ancient Greek ἄνεσις (anesis, "loosening, abatement, remission") (Wiktionary)