from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The indigo plant or the blue dye obtained from it.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The indigo shrub; or the indigo dye obtained from the plant.
- n. Any imine in which the N-radical is a phenyl (or substituted phenyl) group.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A West Indian plant (Indigofera anil), one of the original sources of indigo; also, the indigo dye.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A somewhat woody leguminous plant, Indigoferȧ Anil, from whose leaves and stalks the West Indian indigo is made.
- n. Indigo.
- n. A derivative of aniline containing the group NC6H5.
- n. A Cuban name of the blue variety of the vaqueta, a bass-like fish of the West Indies, Hypoplectrus unicolor (variety indigo of Poey).
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a blue dye obtained from plants or made synthetically
- n. shrub of West Indies and South America that is a source of indigo dye
If someone applies an "anil" tag to the post, and someone views the "anil" tag aggregation page, will that display convey the fact that I'm being sarcastic?
What if the "anil" tag page is the first Google result, and someone who's never met me and doesn't know my sense of humor finds that first?
So A-listers, such as anil and haughey, condemn charles as close minded and no longer worth to read.
To see a sample message for a totally unknown type, you can see what ".anil" files return, or for one that's a little more reasonable, you can see the message that a user would presumably get for PDF files if they didn't have Adobe Acrobat installed.
Fritsche in the same year by the distillation of indigo with caustic potash developed a product which he also called aniline, the name being derived from the Portuguese word anil, meaning indigo.
| Reply very very funny, thanks anil. i wonder how the Facebook Username Dispute Resolution Community will deal with #facesquatters bob. hitching.net
Some of them might even be, to quote anil dash, "despicable criminals of the worst sort".
| Reply max, that was brilliant. daveD: Arrogant? you so don't know anil. anil: this post needs more of teh kittees. you also forgot fake steve jobs. you have to admit his prank last year was clever. liza
The people of the coast continue planting cotton, spinning it, dyeing it with indigo, anil, purple and wood-based tints.
After the raw materials have been ground, sifted, dampened, kneaded and formed into clay figures, another step in the process is added: decorative paint from cooked anil.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.