from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A special personal power or presence held to facilitate the hypnotism of others.
- n. Magnetic personal charm.
- n. Sex appeal.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Sexual attractiveness; charisma derived from non-intellectual characteristics.
- n. A magnetic fluid or ethereal medium said to reside in the bodies of animate beings.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. See Magnetism and Mesmerism.
- n. Same as hypnotism, at one time believe to be due to a force more or less analogous to magnetism, which, it was alleged, is produced in animal tissues, and passes from one body to another with or without actual contact. The existence of such a force, and its potentiality for the cure of disease, were asserted by Mesmer in 1775. His theories and methods were afterwards called mesmerism, a name which has been popularly applied to theories and claims not put forward by Mesmer himself. See Mesmerism, Biology, Od, Hypnotism.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. magnetic personal charm
Sorry, no etymologies found.