American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A special personal power or presence held to facilitate the hypnotism of others.
- n. Magnetic personal charm.
- n. Sex appeal.
- n. Sexual attractiveness; charisma derived from non-intellectual characteristics.
- n. obsolete A magnetic fluid or ethereal medium said to reside in the bodies of animate beings.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. See Magnetism and Mesmerism.
- n. Same as hypnotism, at one time believe to be due to a force more or less analogous to magnetism, which, it was alleged, is produced in animal tissues, and passes from one body to another with or without actual contact. The existence of such a force, and its potentiality for the cure of disease, were asserted by Mesmer in 1775. His theories and methods were afterwards called
mesmerism, a name which has been popularly applied to theories and claims not put forward by Mesmer himself. See Mesmerism, Biology, Od, Hypnotism.
- n. magnetic personal charm
“Mesmer pretended that the cures were performed by the animal magnetism of his invention, but he was afraid of confronting Gassner.”
“The doctrine of animal magnetism (Mesmerism), established by Friedrich Anton Mesmer”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘animal magnetism’.
Words that describe human behavior and are associated with electromagnetism.
Hopefully, I'll be using this site for more than one year. It will be fun then to look back and see what new words I found worthy of notice in any given year.
All words spotted in 2008...
Looking for tweets for animal magnetism.