from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A pilaster forming the end of a projecting lateral wall, as in some Greek temples, and constituting one boundary of the portico.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A kind of pier produced by thickening a wall at its termination, treated architecturally as a pilaster, with capital and base.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A species of pier produced by thickening a wall at its termination, treated architecturally as a pilaster, with capital and base.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In architecture, a pilaster, especially a pilaster in certain positions, as one of a pair on either side of a doorway, or one standing opposite a pillar; specifically, the pilaster used in Greek and Roman architecture to terminate one of the side walls of a building when these are prolonged beyond the face of the end wall.
- n. The native Brazilian name of the common or American tapir, Tapirus americanus.
- n. A name in northwestern South America of the ivory-nut palm, Phytelephas macrocarpa. See Phytelephas.
Peruvian word anta, signifying copper or metal in general.
The present active participle, expressing what the word modified "is doing", ends in "- anta," as "vidanta", seeing,
SKETCHY SANTAS anta Claus has captured our imaginations for centuries as an enduring symbol of kindness and generosity.
The word Vedanta is a compound of Veda, or “knowledge,” and anta, or “end and conclusion.”
To Be $anta ',' Hey, if you\'re looking to make a few extra bucks, have I got a gig for you.
Greg van Eekhout said ... anta Fe seems like a great place to visit, eat incredibly good food, retire, or engage in New Age-y activities.
The combination of these three physical faculties – the physical faculty for sentience, the physical faculty for self-awareness, and the physical faculty for a mind – is called the “internal agent” (nang-du byed-pa, Skt. anta: karana).
At | anta Spirit paid $250 million last year to buy the Hawks, Thrashers and operating rights to Philips Arena from Time Warner.
Selgus, et streigi puhul ärajäänud lendude korral ei anta.
Here's the verb waSala conjugated in the maaDii: Form ` anaa waSaltu ` anta waSalta Pronunciation ah-nah wah-sal-too ahn-tah wah-sal-tah Translation I arrived You arrived (MS)
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.