from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Belonging to the period before a war, especially the American Civil War.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of the time period prior to a war.
- adj. In the United States of America, of the period prior to the American Civil War, especially in reference to the culture of the southern states.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. belonging to a period before a war, especially the American Civil War.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Before the war: often used (joined by a hyphen) attributively.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. belonging to a period before a war especially the American Civil War
Latin ante bellum : ante, before + bellum, war.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From the Latin phrase ante bellum (literally "before the war"), from ante ("before") + bellum ("war"). (Wiktionary)