from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Designed to reduce environmental noise, as in a community: an antinoise ordinance.
- adj. Capable of neutralizing the sound of another noise.
- n. A technique for neutralizing unwanted sound, in which a second sound wave, identical to but out of phase with the unwanted sound, is used to cancel the unwanted sound.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Intended to reduce environmental noise.
- adj. Capable of neutralizing another noise.
- n. A sound wave, of the same amplitude but of opposite phase to that of an unwanted sound, that can neutralize the unwanted sound using destructive interference.
Sorry, no etymologies found.