from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A wild sheep (Ammotragus lervia) of northern Africa, having long, curved horns and a beardlike growth of hair on the neck and chest. Also called Barbary sheep.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The Barbary sheep, Ammotragus lervia.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An African sheeplike quadruped (the Ammotragus lervia, formerly Ammotragus tragelaphus) having a long mane on the breast and fore legs; the wild sheep of northern Africa; -- called also Barbary sheep. It is, perhaps, the chamois of the Old Testament.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The wild sheep of Barbary; a ruminant of the subfamily Ovinæ and family Bovidæ, inhabiting northern Africa.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. wild sheep of northern Africa
French, from Berber audad.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)