from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An aphid, especially one of the genus Aphis.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An aphid.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A genus of insects belonging to the order Hemiptera and family Aphidæ, including numerous species known as plant lice and green flies.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A genus of small plant-sucking insects, of the family Aphididœ and order Homoptera.
- n. [lowercase] A plant-louse. [In this sense the plural aphides (af'i-dēz) is used.]
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. type genus of the Aphididae: injurious to fruit trees and vegetables
New Latin Aphis, genus name.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)