American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A brightly colored butterfly (Argynnis aphrodite) of North America.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The Greek goddess of love and beauty, identified by the Romans with their Venus, who was originally a deity of much less importance. By one legend she is fabled (as Aphrodite Anadyomene) to have sprung from the foam of the sea. She was the personification of female grace, and from her prototype, the Phenician Astarte, represented the reproductive and germinal powers of nature.
- n. [NL.] In zool.: A genus of chætopodous annelids, typical of the family Aphroditidæ (which see). A genus of lepidopterous insects. Hübner, 1816. A genus of bivalve mollusks. Also written Aphrodita. Isaac Lea. The species are known as sea-mice; the common sea-mouse is A. aculeata. Also written
Aphrodita. See sea-mouse.
- n. [lowercase] A variety of meerschaum. It is a hydrous silicate of magnesium.
- n. mineralogy A soft and earthy mineral of a white or yellowish color, and with a waxy lustre, found at Langbanshytta in Sweden. It is a hydrated silicate of magnesia, and resembles meerschaum.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Classic Myth.) The Greek goddess of love, corresponding to the Venus of the Romans.
- n. (Zoöl.) A large marine annelid, covered with long, lustrous, golden, hairlike setæ; the sea mouse.
- n. (Zoöl.) A beautiful butterfly (Argunnis Aphrodite) of the United States.
- n. goddess of love and beauty and daughter of Zeus in ancient mythology; identified with Roman Venus
- From stem of Ancient Greek ἀφρός (aphrós, "sea foam, froth") (for its supposed resemblance) + -ite. (Wiktionary)
- From Aphrodite. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“And You Thought REAGAN Was Stupid says: mighty aphrodite is simply too uneducated, too poorly informed, and has little relevant life experience to be able to post on this forum with any sense of authority.”
“June 12th, 2006 at 5: 43 pm freeman says: and by the way aphrodite is the goddess of love and that doesnt seem to fit your MO”
“And aphrodite is right, we should wait until we have all the facts before doing anything rash like criticizing policy or invading a country.”
“Average TV Viewer says: mighty aphrodite is correct.”
“The problem with aphrodite is the same problem that pretty much all republicans face.”
“#34 – “Mighty aphrodite is a perfect example (although I think she is a govâ€ ™ t employee).””
“October 7th, 2005 at 6: 25 pm afterthought says: mighty aphrodite is a troll, treat her/him as such.”
“Carl Levin for President says: mighty aphrodite is somewhere where ghosts and bad dreams run.”
““Mighty (gullible) aphrodite is dumber than a bag of hammers.””
“Should, ve known. mighty aphrodite is definitely female species/tis no wonder you believe you have all the answers.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘aphrodite’.
Words about looking good
The height of fame, or infamy, is when your name becomes a byword for something. I'm not 100 percent sure about the technical name for this trope, but it seems to be antonomasia. Suggestions are mo...
All of these things exist, I swear!
These chromonyms are defined as colors in at least one dictionary (mostly MW3). (Actually there's one fake, for reasons I'll explain someday.) They are all one-word nouns such as "kelly", which can...
Greek and roman names of gods, titans, heroes, etc
Looking for tweets for aphrodite.