from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Corrected for both chromatic and spherical aberration, as a lens.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Corrected for both chromatic aberration and spherical aberration.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Free from chromatic and spherical aberration; -- said esp. of a lens in which rays of three or more colors are brought to the same focus, the degree of achromatism thus obtained being more complete than where two rays only are thus focused, as in the ordinary achromatic objective.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- An epithet descriptive of an improved form of lens devised by Professor Abbe of Jena, constructed of new kinds of glass which allow of a more perfect correction of chromatic and spherical aberration than has hitherto been possible.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. corrected for both chromatic and spherical aberration
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Many amateurs have discovered that the combination of a small rich field refractor, a 600 apochromatic refractor, and a 1200 Newtonian makes for the ultimate in observing equipment.
Threads up to about one twenty-thousandth of an inch in diameter may be sufficiently well measured by means of a Zeiss "4 centimetre apochromatic object-glass" and an eyepiece "No. 6" with sixteen centimetre tube length.
Although with the increase in power it is correspondingly difficult to combine all these corrections in one objective, they are brought to a high pitch of excellence in the present-day "achromatic" objectives, and so remove the necessity for the use of the higher priced and less durable apochromatic lenses.
Zeiss prepares a compensating eyepiece micrometer for use with his apochromatic objectives, the divisions of which are so computed that
For the telescope and camera buffs out there, Legault says the images were produced using a Takahashi TOA-150 6-inch apochromatic refractor focal length 3600mm on an EM-400 mount, with a Baader Herschel wedge.
Now fully integrated into CODE V, the Glass Expert tool uses a unique algorithm to find the best set of real glasses for a user's lens design that provides superior color correction including the generation of apochromatic systems while considering factors such as glass transmission, cost, weight and other criteria.
Mamiya continues to be a pioneer by continually improving and refining the finest professional photographic products with state-of-art advancements such as superior apochromatic lens technology and practical, ergonomic camera design and function.
Control of chromatic aberration is also improving, thanks to dropping prices of low - and super-low-dispersion apochromatic glass.
You can, for example, buy semi-plan apochromatic objectives and plan achromat objectives.
The level of color correction is specified as either achromatic or apochromatic.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.