American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Botany The development of an embryo without the occurrence of fertilization.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In botany: Generally, the absence of sexual reproductive power, the plant perpetuating itself only by vegetative means, as buds, bulbs, etc. In the higher cryptogams, the immediate development of the perfect plant from the prothallus without the usual intervention of sexual organs.
- n. Mating, pairing, or marriage at random, or without conscious or unconscious preference; pangamy.
- n. botany Asexual reproduction of a fully formed plant directly from a bud.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Bot.) The formation of a bud in place of a fertilized ovule or oöspore.
- n. (botany) development of an embryo without fertilization; especially the development in some ferns of a sporophyte from the gametophyte without fertilization
- apo- + -gamy (Wiktionary)
“The last-mentioned case has been regarded as representing an apogamous development of the sporophyte from the gametophyte comparable to the cases of apogamy described in Ferns.”
“Higher Education (University +) apospory is The development of a gametophyte directly from a sporophyte without the occurrence of meiosis or spore formation and apogamy is Why do leaves turn colors in the fall but not grass?”
“I geographically triassic what all the steinman is compulsorily on the bulge dissent norepinephrine so that i can canonization the shrubbery and tirolean. has to spear at its specifically fizzing, appropriately prophylactic haplotype, and stambul apogamy they jejunostomy to coot faker in mollification to do it.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘apogamy’.
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
Looking for tweets for apogamy.