from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Botany The development of an embryo without the occurrence of fertilization.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Asexual reproduction of a fully formed plant directly from a bud.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The formation of a bud in place of a fertilized ovule or oöspore.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In botany: Generally, the absence of sexual reproductive power, the plant perpetuating itself only by vegetative means, as buds, bulbs, etc. In the higher cryptogams, the immediate development of the perfect plant from the prothallus without the usual intervention of sexual organs.
- n. Mating, pairing, or marriage at random, or without conscious or unconscious preference; pangamy.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (botany) development of an embryo without fertilization; especially the development in some ferns of a sporophyte from the gametophyte without fertilization
apo- + -gamy (Wiktionary)