Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. . The act of approving; approbation; an expression of assent or preference.
- n. In law, the act of becoming an approver or informer; the act of a prisoner who confesses, and accuses his accomplices; the act of turning king's or state's evidence.
- n. In old English law: The improvement by the lord of a manor of common or waste lands by inclosing and converting them to his own use.
- n. The profits of such lands.
- n. obsolete, Old English law Improvement of common lands by converting them for advantage of the landlord.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. Approbation.
- n. (Eng. Law) a confession of guilt by a prisoner charged with treason or felony, together with an accusation of his accomplish and a giving evidence against them in order to obtain his own pardon. The term is no longer in use; it corresponded to what is now known as
turning king's(or queen's) evidencein England, and state's evidencein the United States.
- n. (Old Eng. Law) Improvement of common lands, by inclosing and converting them to the uses of husbandry for the advantage of the lord of the manor.
“Whatever Paul is or is not, he is an only an approvement when one considers Lieberman, who is actually and increduously still a part of the US Government.”
“He tales it one step further in improvement the stamp of approvement for the "improvement" came from Munsell himself by adding the "dominance" of each mixture when doing the charts.”
“I've never heard approvement in this sense in modern English.”
“TEFL - course that reminded me of this tolerance/toleration; empathic/empathetic; approval/approvement post.”
“It's just that I overheard the other day someone in the street saying: "he was nodding in approvement”
“I have a pair of crutches in a corner for the support of them, without hospital approvement..”
“When we get these seven to nine approvement management levels in place at headquarters, many of those people see their job as, kind of, a gatekeeper function, and, kind of, a power thing or whatever.”
“The government should put a halt on the approvement of arms sales to the Middle East amid the ongoing violence between Palestinians and Israelis, the Southern African Catholic Bishops Conference said on Wednesday.”
“A centre would also be built towards the end of the year to facilitate the building process in aspects such as the approvement of plans and quality inspections, Mofokeng said.”
“The Cabinet gave in principle approvement to the tabling of two bills:”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘approvement’.
Looking for tweets for approvement.