from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A board pulled over the water by a motorboat and ridden by a person standing up.
- intransitive v. To ride on such a board.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A board ridden by a standing person and pulled by a motorboat for entertainment
- v. to ride such a board
- v. For a car or similar vehicle to slide along the road on a thin film of water between the road and the tyres. This occurs when a car has some speed and comes to somewhere with more water on the road than the weight of the car and the grooves in the tyre tread pattern (if any) can push away. The result is almost no traction at all for steering or braking.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a board that is pulled by a speedboat as a person stands on it and skims over the top of the water
- v. ride on an aquaplane
- v. rise up onto a thin film of water between the tires and road so that there is no more contact with the road
aqua- + plane1.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)