from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A sharp, narrow mountain ridge or spur.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A very thin ridge of rock.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An acute and rugged crest of a mountain range or a subsidiary ridge between two mountain gorges.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A sharp ridge or rocky spur of a mountain.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a sharp narrow ridge found in rugged mountains
French, from Old French areste, fishbone, spine, from Late Latin arista, awn, fishbone, from Latin, awn.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Borrowing from French arête, from Latin arista. (Wiktionary)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.