American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A sharp, narrow mountain ridge or spur.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A sharp ridge or rocky spur of a mountain.
- n. geology A very thin ridge of rock.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Geog.) An acute and rugged crest of a mountain range or a subsidiary ridge between two mountain gorges.
- n. a sharp narrow ridge found in rugged mountains
- Borrowing from French arête, from Latin arista. (Wiktionary)
- French, from Old French areste, fishbone, spine, from Late Latin arista, awn, fishbone, from Latin, awn. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
These user-created lists contain the word ‘arête’.
A Cyclopedia of Landforms.
Words I've come across while reading and looked up in the dictionary.
Looking for tweets for arête.