American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A crystalline pentose sugar, C5H10O5, obtained from plant polysaccharides such as gums and hemicelluloses.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A crystallizable sugar, C6H12O6, prepared by the action of sulphuric acid on arabin.
- n. biochemistry An aldopentose that occurs most often in polysaccharides such as hemicellulose and pectin.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Chem.) A sugar of the composition C5H10O5, obtained from cherry gum by boiling it with dilute sulphuric acid.
- (gum) arab(ic) + -in + -ose2. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“If the mixture contains arabinose and the indicator dye, the difference between Ara+ and Ara− is revealed, as if by heating invisible ink: they show up as white and red colonies, respectively.”
“On the first pulse of arabinose, the E. coli creates a protein called T7 RNAP.”
“In the counting project, which was published in the journal Science in May, Dr. Collins and his colleagues programmed bacteria to emit a fluorescent protein after being exposed three times to a sugar called arabinose.”
“The T7 RNAP primes the E. coli to create a different protein, T3 RNAP, when the bacteria are exposed to a second pulse of arabinose.”
“These polysaccharides made from a variety of sugars, including galactose, xylose, arabinose are found together with cellulose in the plant cell walls.”
“They are rich in a mucilage, which on hydrolysis yields eight sugars, the pre dominant ones being d-galactose and l-arabinose in the ratio 8: 1.”
“This was directly established for glucose, lævulose, galactose, and arabinose (2).”
“Observations on the pure pentoses -- xylose and arabinose added to dextrose solutions, and then exposed to yeast action -- show that in a vigorous fermentation not unduly prolonged the pentoses are unaffected, but that they do come within the influence of the yeast-cell when the latter is in a less vigorous condition, and when the hexoses are not present in relatively large proportion.”
“Baker  claimed that manno-arabinose, or manno-xylose, formed one of the most important constituents of the coffee-berry substance and yielded mannose on hydrolysis.”
“Plasmid pVS113 encodes the cheR gene under the control of an arabinose-inducible promoter, and plasmid pVS88 encodes the fluorescent fusion proteins”
Looking for tweets for arabinose.