from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. the type genus of the family Arcidae, including ark shells and blood clams.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In the early church: A chest for receiving offerings of money.
- n. A box or casket in which the eucharist was carried.
- n. A name given by St. Gregory of Tours to an altar composed of three marble tablets, one resting horizontally on the other two, which stand upright on the floor. Walcott, Sacred Archæol.
- n. [capitalized] [NL.] A genus of asiphonate lamelli-branch mollusks, typical of the family Arcidæ (which see); the ark-shells proper.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. type genus of the family Arcidae: ark shells and blood clams
Sorry, no etymologies found.